Possibilities skipped as winless run continues

Grimsby Town huffed and puffed against Stevenage, but they still could not break their winless run as they were held to a goalless draw at Blundell Park.Gary McSheffrey went closest for the Mariners with an effort cleared off the line, while the visitors went alarmingly close when Chris Whelpdale saw his header come back off the post in the second half.With their Football League status on the line

, Michael Jolley decided to make four changes to the side that started the 4-0 demolition at Coventry.In came Nathan Clarke, Luke Summerfield, Mitch Rose and JJ Hooper as the Mariners employer continued his look for the XI that would finally end the winless streak.Town had Zak Mills to thank early on as he prevented what appeared to be a specific goal.Luke Amos broke from a loose Summerfield pass and squared the ball to Ben Kennedy in the charge area, however simply as the striker pulled his foot back to shoot, Mills nipped in at just the ideal moment to get the ball away.< figure data-mod =image itemprop =image itemscope =itemscope itemtype =http://schema.org/ImageObject >< meta itemprop=url content=https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/article1403984.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/DSC_5352.jpg > Action from Grimsby Town against Stevenage At the other end, Mallik Wilks threatened as he chose the ball up on the edge of package prior to sending his curling effort over the bar.Mills was as soon as again in the right location at the right time

just moments later on as the ball was worked into the Mariners’box and, with Danny Newton hiding, the full-back managed to hack the ball away.It was Kennedy who got the visitors’first shot on target as he weaved through Town’s protectors with his back to objective prior to turning and shooting, but James McKeown amounted to the relatively weak effort.Then came the Mariners ‘possibility to strike.Hooper remained strong to win the ball against his challenger and break

without the Stevenage defence and send the ball to Wilks.The Leeds loanee fantastically turned his defender, however Jack King did simply enough to put him off at the turning point as Wilks sent his shot wide.Town were getting on top however

, and when Siriki Dembele skipped through a couple

of obstacles, he took on the crowd’s calls to shoot from around 20 backyards and forced a great save from

Tom King.Expectation was growing amongst the home supporters, and the Mariners had another fantastic possibility to get their noses in front when Mills ‘attempt fell under the path of Rose, who could only fire well over.An exceptional deal with and range from Andrew Fox should have seen Town take the lead as the full-back played a harmful ball along the face of objective, however Gary McSheffrey saw his effort cleared off the line as he sneaked in

at the back post.Having been annoyed in the first half, the Mariners won’t close once again shortly after the break when McSheffrey’s corner found Clarke, and the defender’s looping header concerned King enough for the keeper to palm the ball over.Despite their dominance, Town still couldn’t find that evasive objective, and were nearly made to pay 20 minutes prior to the end.The hosts were unable to clear their lines, and Chris Whelpdale cannoned his header against the post,

leaving Town’s supporters with an agonising wait as the ball rolled throughout the face of goal before ultimately going out for a goal-kick. Still unable to find a goal, McSheffrey attempted his luck as he attempted to capture King out of a free-kick, however might only send his effort into the side netting.Town did all they might to push for a late winner, but they could not turn their luck as they were made to settle

for a point which leaves them in a precarious position.